Land Rover Military History
Land Rover vehicles are legendary for their rough and rugged character along with their unparalleled off-road capabilities. Those features are appealing to a lot of drivers, and they also make the Land Rover the ideal vehicle for military applications. Learn a little about Land Rover military history below, then discover more about the company’s founding. Schedule a test drive to experience these all-powerful vehicles in person at Land Rover West Chester near Philadelphia.
Models from Land Rover Military History
A number of Land Rover models have been modified for military usage, and there are even a few designed exclusively for use by armed forces:
- SIIA Ambulance – The British Army relied on this vehicle for much of the Cold War. It essentially has the body of an ambulance integrated onto the rugged chassis of a Land Rover. This design has proved so successful that the British Army continues to utilize a modern variation of it even today.
- SIIA “Pink Panther” – This vehicle was designed to handle the heat, sand, and rugged topography of desert terrain. Around 100 of these vehicles were produced by the British Military to handle special missions and long-range reconnaissance. The US Rangers still rely on an updated version.
- Amphibious SIIA 109″ – This prototype was designed to accommodate amphibious landings, which is why it looks like a Land Rover combined with a life raft. Fifty of the prototypes were built but never actually used in a conflict situation.
- SIII 109″ GS and FFR – These vehicles are essentially identical externally, and they served as all-purpose personnel and equipment transporters for decades. Interestingly, the design is basically the same as the standard production 109″ but with all of the off-road upgrades equipped.
- V8 Centaur Multi-Role Half-Track – To picture this vehicle, imagine the front half of a truck married to the back half of a tank. The result is a vehicle that is more agile than a tank but more durable than a truck.
Land Rover Models Continue to Serve
Land Rover history is filled with impressive accomplishments and interesting anecdotes. In fact, the Land Rover Wolf–based on the most recent Land Rover Defender–is still serving in the British army. If you are just falling in love with this brand, plan to visit our West Chester, PA dealership to check out exceptional new models like the latest Range Rover.
The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque offers unique style and advanced technology to Exton drivers, with features like perforated leather seats, ambient interior lighting, and several premium audio system options. Explore the Range Rover Evoque interior at Land Rover West Chester, then contact your local authorized Land Rover retailer to experience the interior in person. View Inventory Range…
How much can a Range Rover Evoque tow? The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque offers a towing capacity of 3,968 pounds to Exton drivers. Learn more about towing specs and features on the latest Land Rover model, then contact your local authorized Land Rover retailer to schedule a test drive and experience more Range Rover…
Philadelphia and Exton drivers searching for the ultimate in sophistication and performance should look no further than the 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport configurations. With six trim levels to choose from, this sleek and sporty SUV is sure to meet your needs and budget. Explore the Land Rover Range Rover Sport trim levels with…